This is a picture of a old man sleeping by the lobby of a HDB. He does not have many necessities and fixed lodging.

This is a picture of a woman sleeping on a public bench under a HDB flat at night. This is an indication that poverty is still present in this prosperous country.
Kheng Lon-
I believe there are multiple social centres within the country to help these people? As Singaporeans I also know for a fact that we can get many advantages over foreigners in buying houses. Therefore I only feel that being poor and homeless should only be legitimately applicable to foreigners. This country does seem to help it's people who have pledged loyalty much more than the strangers of the land.
Jing yan-
What about the jobless or bankrupt businessmen? There is intense competition in the job market,where good jobs are fought by a vast amount of applicants who have obtained high credentials over the years of education in famous universities. Many people despite with above average achievements still do not get a job. This contributes to "poverty" in Singapore,but these people also go overseas in search of new opportunities. So the people who are really poor are the ones who are unable to leave Singapore to discover their future.
Claudia-
I would beg to differ on Jing yans point of view. One detail that really caught my attention was that the person in the picture is an old lady. I have not seen any form of true poverty in Singapore but I have never seen any source showing that youths or what Jing yan mentioned as people who are waiting in the employment line actually succumbing to the pressure if society. Most of the people displayed in pictures describing poverty are old and probably unemployed persons.
Hong yang-
I would like to add on to Claudia's point,the contributing factor to poverty is also the lack of education. The government has provided funds to help the needy and make sure they recieve education until the age of 15. However in the past,there were no such help from the newly formed democratic government and therefore some people are unable to receive education. The people are either doing low skilled and paying jobs or jobless. This can only be possible in the past,thus the old are a big part of poverty.
Emily-
I would want to make a comparison with one of the richest countries of the world America. America despite being the largest economy in the world has a higher population percentage of poor people, but why? Why are still so many people spending their nights on the streets of the bustling city and people still begging for money? I think that this is because of the lack of help from the government and the social help available,shelters are still plentiful but far away. The economy is so prosperous,they should solve the poverty problems as soon as possible.

Why on earth is there only two blog posts till now? Where are the rest of the entries which are supposed to be here by now!!!!??
ReplyDelete